Cottage Owners' Association and Lake Plan

What to Do in the Event of a Spill

February 1, 2018.

A spill may be reported to the:

Ontario Ministry of the Environment Spills Action Centre 1-800-268-6060 or 1-855-889-5775 (TTY)

and Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit 1-866-888-4577 Haliburton Office: Tel: (705) 457-1391 

and to the person in control of the substance if they're not already aware.

When you report a spill, you'll need to provide the following information: 

  • your name and phone number (which may be kept confidential if you are not responsible for the spill)
  • name of the company or individual responsible for the spill
  • time and location of the spill
  • type and quantity of material spilled (if you know)
  • status of the spill, including actions being taken to control the spill

Further information is available at:

Some examples of spills include:

  • gasoline, diesel, oil, jet fuel, kerosene and all light and heavy petroleum oils
  • chemicals acids, bases, solvents or pesticides
  • gases and particulates, nitrous oxide, sulphur dioxide, methane gas, smoke or dust
  • wastes liquid industrial, liquid hazardous, sewage, agricultural and other wastes

It is important that we all take the necessary steps to prevent spills: use proper containers, proper material handling techniques, etc.  Ensure that any contractors we use are properly trained and have the proper equipment to handle any incidents.  Keep our septics in proper working order and keep an eye out when they're being pumped.

slide up button
Only BAD BOTS will follow this link and they will subsequently be banned from the site!